Riding with Wobbly Wheels

This blog has been set up to record my participation in The Challenge:
a marathon cycle ride up the full length of Britain and then back south down the full length of Ireland
by a team of 6 riders,4 of whom have Parkinson's disease.
The purpose of the ride is to raise money for Parkinson's UK and to promote awareness of the search for a cure.

Bookmark this page, tell your friends about this blog and follow me on my (often wobbly) ride.
To receive regular email updates of new posts, click on "Follow the Blog" at the bottom of the page.

In the meantime, keep on scrolling down to read the Wobbly Weasel's latest Post.


And don't forget, whilst "on the road", there is a daily journal by all the Team of its ride at the Pedal for Parkinson's Challenge Website. (Click on the link below in the right hand column.)

The Pedal for Parkinson's 2011 Team

The Pedal for Parkinson's 2011 Website

Click on the team photo above to go directly to the Pedal for Parkinson's 2011 Website. As well as information about the team, the Website has detailed maps to help you follow the riders as they complete
The Challenge.

"The Magnificent 7"
From right to left: Les Roberts, Nigel Macvean, Mark Vallance, David Greaves, Ian Watkinson, Chris Bennett and Chris Brown. Chris Brown and Ian are riding with a second team that sets off from Lands End a couple of days before the rest of us start our ride from Lizard Point on Wednesday 15th June. Neil Manning couldn't make it for the photoshoot but having already cycled Land's End to John O'Groats for Parkinson's, he is this year the 6th Man riding the Double End-to-End.


Tuesday 21 June 2011

Midsummer Madness

Tuesday 21st June 2011
Midsummer's Day
Day 7 of the Pedal for Parkinson's
Double End-to-End Cycle Challenge

From Ripon (North Yorkshire) to Alston (Cumbria)

67 miles (we hope)

Posted by the Secret Secretary

After 7 days of riding in mostly wet conditions with occasional sunny intervals, the Pedal for Parkinson's Challenge Team took the road from Ripon in North Yorkshire to Alston in Cumbria. The road-book suggested a total of 67 miles for the day but up till now the road-book has shown a tendency to underestimate the mileage and the Team has been clocking up near centuries most days. Whatever, with a total elevation of 6000+ ft, the day was expected to be long. A long ride, some might even say a touch of midsummer madness, for the longest day of the year.

As it turns out, whilst yesterday's estimated mileage was just a mile short of the final tally, there was more climbing than predicted. The "plus" in the afore mentioned 6000+ ft was a big 400 ft of extra elevation, which of course all added a bit of metaphorical colour to a day of mixed humours (in terms of the weather at least). As the Team rode out of Well (north of Ripon in North Yorkshire) the sun was already starting to break through and soon the last remaining clouds gave way to bright sunshine.

Les reports: "We had a good 40 miles in the bag by lunchtime. It was very warm and sunny, so I discarded my winter gloves and left them in the Landrover, which Viv is driving.


(Above) : Mugshots
Les and Viv on Skype.
Viv is supporting the Challenge Team
with motorized back-up for the Mainland leg
of this double End-to-End Cycle Challenge.
The hand growing out of his ear is a Yorkshire thing.

With hindsight: a bad decision! In the afternoon, as we entered
Teesdale the weather changed and became increasing foreboding and ominous. It had been agreed by the Team that everyone should find their own pace on the hills today, so, climbing out of Middleton and Teesdale up over the Pennines towards Alston I put my foot down and, to use the technical terminology, got stuck in. I ran into a ferocious hail storm that lashed down, stinging my hands and face but I just put my head down and focused on the finish line and... the cup of tea there. Over the top and it was then a fast, exhilarating descent into Alston where the weather changed again and it was already showing signs of becoming a pleasant evening. However, I wasn't home yet. There are big cobbles in Alston. The kind of cobbles that you would expect to find on the Tour of Flanders. Needless to say, as I slowed to a stop to find where we were staying I took a tumble and with my usual, spectacular flare, crashed to the ground. Can you believe it ! Having descended without incident and at speeds of up to 40mph, the moment I stop, I topple off, in front of a bemused public of course. Probably the most interesting thing that has happened in Alston for months. Some of those who witnessed my acrobatics were a little concerned but I explained that I always finish my rides this way and that I'm trying to perfect my forward tumble before I attempt the double backflip. Anyway, a little battered and bruised (my pride, that is), I found the youth hostel and everyone else was home within the hour after me. For me, it was probably one of the best day's riding that I've done for a long time despite the mishap in the final furlongs. But I know that one of my fellow riders and Parkinsonians is struggling and had a bad day; maybe today, with a little less elevation and hopefully more clement weather, he'll feel better. Hope so. On the plus side, Nigel and Chris are riding well and getting stronger with each day. Chris reports that he's developing a good cadence, which helped him to find a good, steady rhythm up the climb over the Pennines. But he still hasn't shaved his legs. Maybe he's saving it for the end of the ride."



(Above) Wednesday 22nd June 2011
Les and Chris say "hello" via Skype
from the Youth Hostel in Alston, Cumbria.

Chris is getting stronger with each day's riding
and is turning the gears nicely,
but he still hasn't shaved his legs.
(It's a cyclist's thing).

Today the Team cycles over the border to Moffat in Scotland. Ah Scotland, the home of World Champion cyclists, world ranking tennis players and world class... midgets.

No comments: